So last night I could not sleep, and got up at 3am for the umpteenth time to wee and maybe get a glass of water (seems counter-intuitive, as one begets the other, but anyway). I put a nightlight in the hallway maybe a month ago (so I could see and avoid pitching myself down the stairs when I stumble to the bathroom in my sleep fog) and what do I spot in its nice green glow? A black spot creeping across the hall ceiling. Ok, so turn on the light real quick to check, and sure enough its a damn creepy big black spider. No way I'm going back to bed until it is dead, but its over the stairs where it can't be reached. Briefly consider going and getting the vacuum cleaner, but imagine Matt waking up to that noise and not being happy, plus I would have to walk under the spider to get downstairs anyway. Sigh. So I perch on the end of the bed and stare out at the ceiling and wait to see where the monster goes. It heads in towards the landing, slowly but surely, where I can probably reach to smack it with something. I consider my choice of weapons, settle on a shoe, and attempt to sneak up on it. Buuuuutttt....it's a little bigger than I am comfortable getting that close to and I beat a hasty retreat. So now my options are: watch it for the next 4 hours until Matt wakes up, or just wake Matt up now. Figure he can't be tooo mad at me ("in my condition" and all). Go over to Matt, tap his shoulder, he sits up, all "what, what?? What is it?" Wouldn't it be great if I could say, like in the movies, "it's time, baby's coming." But no, I say, "there's a big spider in the hall" and hand him the shoe.
Bless him, he killed it and went back to bed without a complaint.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
arachnophobia? Did I spell the write?
Nice spider harming hubby! I am so excited and have been counting down the days here is Allentown...so, how will we know when you are in labor - will you be blogging and breathing at the same time??? I can't believe that you are so cool that you continue to post belly pics - I love it and it makes me miss my belly (although the baby itself is actually quite a bit cooler than the belly!) I hope you are great! Miss ya!
Ah yes, the vacuum, your first line of defense- see, I told you it was the single most important invention- now, are you going to train Charlotte this skill in reducing the spider population OR are you going to let her keep them in a jar and feed them like a pet because Charlotte's Web is her favorite good night story? Welcome to parenthood!
We have the countdown board going..10...9..love, mom
You are so funny and lucky that Matt has a great sense of humor!!! How are you feeling?? You better have Matt do some blogging so when you are in labor we will all know it! Talk to you soon!!!
Dana:)
Feeling good (and of course, since everything gets analyzed at this point, I keep wondering: if I still feel this good, does that mean my body will never go into labor and I'll be pregnant forever??). Anyway, I have been telling Matt to do some blog entries, but you can see how well that has gone...
Leslie and Matt,
Did you know: When spider comes into the house it means sombody is missing you. It is bad luck to kill spider in the house. Matt has to pick it up (alive) or chase it outside(old Croatian saying)
Nevenka
There must be a lot of people that miss us, because we sure do get a lot of spiders in here.
Post a Comment